Children, Birthdays and Tarantulas

We have just finished up week three in Guyana, and it was quite the eventful week! The week started out pretty normal. On Monday, I, along with the three other volunteers in my group, went to the health center that we were assigned to in order to start working. It was chronic disease day, so everyone at the health center was there for disease management, particularly diabetes. Everyone was assigned a different person to work with, and objective for the day was just to observe. I went with the medic (There wasn’t a doctor there because the doctor only comes to the clinic three times per month), and observed as she checked and counseled people on diabetes. At one point, I told her I was a dietitian, and suddenly, I was tasked with counseling everyone with diabetes on their diets. Clearly, confirmation of credentials for RD’s isn’t a thing at this health center.

Tuesday started out pretty relaxed. The entire morning was work time, so my group (We all work at the same health center and school.) decided to meet and work at the airport. The airport has quickly become the hangout spot for the group. Air conditioning, wifi, and beer?! Heaven! The only thing we really had to do that day was go to our assigned school in the afternoon, and observe how classes were taught for an hour. Seems easy enough right? Wrong. We showed up and went to the headmaster to find out what classes to observe. The conversation went something like this:

Us: “Good afternoon. We are here to observe a class.”

Headmaster: “Oh ok. Let me look at the schedule. Oh yes…We have eight teachers at a cricket tournament now, so there are no classes for you to watch, but you

can teach a class”.

Us: “Oh no, we just want to observe. What are the students doing now?”

Headmaster: “They aren’t doing anything. They don’t have a teacher. You can teach them something about health.”

Us: “We don’t have anything prepared. We are just suppose to observe.”

Headmaster: “You can teach about health. Anything you want to talk about. Come with me”.

So we headed upstairs to the class, only to find that there were two classes that needed teaching, so Ben and Jeremy took one class and Chase and I took the other. I was happy to find that there was already nutrition info on the board, so I figured I would just talk about that. I started out by trying to engage the kids and ask them some questions. All I got was blank stares. I then started going over the info on the board. More blank stares. Suddenly Chase says: “Do you understand what she’s saying? She’s saying that if you don’t change how you’re eating, and don’t stop eating so much rice and sugar, you will become obese, and probably get diabetes”. Straight to the point. That sort of got there attention, for maybe….two minutes. It’s safe to say that was the worst lecture of my life. We quickly grabbed our stuff and went to leave, when we realized that Chase was missing. He had been kidnapped by a group of 15 year old girls who apparently thought he was a blonde Jesus and needed to take pictures with him. Classic.

The next couple days was pretty routine, aside from the tarantula sighting. While doing my laundry, I came face to face with a tarantula. I don’t know when the last time I screamed that loud was. I’m not normally very squeamish, but that thing was hairy and huge. My host mom was equally frightened, and it took us about an hour before we decided it was time for it to die. My host mom hit it with a broom, and then we lit it on fire.



The next day was my birthday, and it was probably one of the best birthdays I’ve had. I went for a run in the morning, and when I came back, my family surprised me with a cake, chocolate, and fresh baked muffins. It was SO nice. That evening, another trainee, Naomi, and her host sister came over for dinner. I don’t think I could have asked for a better birthday.


The rest of the week was filled with training, work, and a few trips to the airport bar. I went to Georgetown with my host sister and did some shopping, and it was nice to see the city on our own time. The 6pm curfew that Peace Corps gives us is really starting to get old, but hopefully we can negotiate it? Or not. The host fam is still awesome. More news later. Now, time to prepare for the hectic week ahead!


3 thoughts on “Children, Birthdays and Tarantulas”

  1. Happy Belated Birthday! That cake had yr pic on it! Impressive ! I get the impression Guyanese are laid back re teaching classes. I laughed out loud that u burned up the spider! ;D

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s